Sunday, January 15, 2006

Swim lesson #1


So I spent about 45 minutes with my new swim coach Rob at the Athletic club. I am not so physically tired as I am mentaly tired. I have not swum in years so i was glad I spent a day in the pool with Bruce my training partner who still loves telling the story about how i could not get to the other end of a 25m pool without stopping. I remember asking him..." Do you hold your breath between strokes?" HIs eyes still water at the laughter he creates when he tells the story. I had spent about 6 more sessions in the pool self guided by TOTAL IMMERSION swimming by Terry Laughlin. A + stuff. buy this book or get it at the library. I also got his companion DVD set from my local library and made personal copies. My Coack today said alot of what was said in the book but the key was he gave me good specific drills as well as was able to see what I was doing right and doing wrong....That helped a ton. The plan is about 4-6 more sessions with the coach and then likley will join a local masters swim club. He has me doing sessions about every 2 weeks so I can really get the drills down. So if you are just starting swimming the progression happens so just get yourself the right information and coaches. I could not not swim a lap 1 month ago and now am doing 500 meters at a time so today felt like a springboard in the right direction.

No comments: