Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Performance testing



Well I went to Oregon State university and had body composition done in a Mork from Ork egg thing called the bod pod ( see photo) pretty interesting. Then I did a VO2max test on the treadmill. I warmed up on the treadmill for about 10 minutes at 135 beats which I felt pretty calm about. so we put on the big headpiece with the mouthtube and I was thinking this was not too bad...but then I forgot about the noseclips. Ok now it was like breathing through a tube. We started out and worked my way up to a perceived exertion of "pretty hard" then they left the speed the same and ramped up the incline every 30 seconds until I got to the point of almost passing out and losing form right off the treadmill. When I was done which was about 12 minutes into it ( they said between 8 and 15 minutes was optimal) I was done and hopped off the sides, I noted my heart rate on the monitor was 198 which was good as last time I did this on a bike it got to 195. So after I was done they would not tell me any of the results as there is a second part of the testing with a nutriational analysis and bloodwork and they give it all to you then. so when I get that I will scan it in. Over all a great experience and they really seemed scientific at the university so I felt the results will be accurate. ( not me on the treadmill....but yes i really got inside that pod!!!)

3 comments:

:) said...

Very cool...I would love to have this done!

Tracy said...

Oh man! Now that is the hookup! I wish they had something like that around here- the closest locale is about a three-hour drive.

Drew Holmes said...

I got lucky with the FREE part but they do have two others in town here but cost a pretty penny